National Apple Strudel Day Fun Facts:
- The word “strudel” means “vortex,” “whirlpool,” or “eddy” in German. The word comes from the layers of dough that swirl throughout the filling.
- The oldest known recipe for apple strudel is from Austria in 1696.
- Apple strudel originated in Vienna, Austria.
- Apple strudel is especially popular in Austria and in European countries that belonged to the Austro-Hungarian empire in the past.
- Purists say that the dough when baking apple strudel should be so thin that you can read a newspaper through it, while a legend has it that the Austrian Emperor’s perfectionist cook decreed that it should be possible to read a love letter through the dough.